When figuring out how to start a candy gram business, you must first outline your overall goals and how you’d like to operate your business. The following are some options that you may want to consider:
- Run the business from your home and do deliveries yourself.
- Collect orders and mail them out.
- Rent a retail space where you can sell your products.
- Partner with another business, like a flower shop, so that your products can also be sold at their location.
The final decision is clearly yours, and will depend on the size that you’d like your business to be and also the funds you have available to startup.
What you will need
The following items will be needed to start a candy gram business:
- A large variety of candy bars and other candies
- Gift containers – such as baskets and decorative boxes
- Greeting cards
- Either transportation or shipping and packaging supplies
Develop a few different sample designs, so that you can build a portfolio you can show to customers. Make sure that your prices are competitive without being too spendy or too inexpensive. If you are the one who will be making deliveries, make sure to factor in fuel expenses as well.
Being Successful in the Candy Gram Business
Learning how to start a candy gram business is only the tip of the iceberg. You’ve got to market the business properly to ensure true success. Place ads in newspapers, make fliers to put on mailboxes and bulletin boards, give people business cards, etc. If it’s within your budget, using TV and radio to advertise – especially right around the holiday season – will increase your customers more than you might think. Along with an advertising campaign, brainstorm about what your potential markets are that may not be reached by traditional methods. One example is doing a candy gram for charity, or even school fundraisers. Since you’re offering a volume discount to these types of organizations, you will be selling much more while working a whole lot less.
Another market which might have potential is corporations. They generally give holiday and retirement gifts to people who work for them. Often times, large corporations will even partner with suppliers of gifts, so speaking with the right people can make all the difference in the world with your candy gram business.
Expanding your business
A terrific thing about learning how to start a candy gram business is that everything you learn along the way will apply to your business and the growth of it. Superior service and having vast knowledge of your market is just as important for someone who has been in business for a decade as it is for someone like you who is just starting out.
You may even want to consider offering some of the following in order to grow your business even further:
- Add candy and flower bouquets to your candy grams.
- Include fun novelty items in the candy gram.
- Why not try your hand at singing telegrams if you’ve got the talent?
- Gift baskets are very popular these days, so integrate them in.
However you decide to market and expand your business, there is plenty of opportunity for anyone who wants to learn how to start a candy gram business and is willing to work hard to be successful!